|History of the Building|
|The first recorded reference of the Wheatsheaf was in 1770 when a licence, witnessed by Magistrates Clarke & Knightly at Daventry Division Recognisance Hearing, was guaranteed, at a price of £10,by Thomas Kilworth, another Crick publican, to John Cooper the landlord.
The pub is reputed to have subterranean passages connecting it to the village church St. Margaret of Antioch "link".
"From the beginning of the 16th century the term "post" was applied to men with horses stationed or appointed in places at suitable distances along the routes , the duty of each being to ride with or forward with all speed to the next stage , the king's packet or mail, and subsequently the letters of other persons also, as well as to furnish horses for use in this."
Oxford University Press, Oxford 1986.'
|Click image to view enlargement|