Holidays - Past & Present

The School

In 1872 Sherington School was housed in The Old School House. It then moved next door to a new site in 1956 and has remained there ever since. During the war years the school roll was as high as 150 but nowadays it is around 50 pupils.
Click on the logo to go home
Sherington C.E. First School today
Photograph used with permission of Sherington Historical Society
The school does not seem to have had organized days out until 1938 (although in 1892 "the scholars were taken to Castle Ashby and thoroughly enjoyed the trip"). However the school Log Book shows the effect of local holidays, festivals and fairs. The largest influence was Wolverton Railway works, which necessitated the complete closure of the school for a week whilst the employees and their families took advantage of the week's free rail travel.
For excerts from the school Log Book click here
To see some of the childrens holiday pictures and hear about their holidays click here
For details of the 'School Entertainments' in 1897 click here
For more about Festivals click here