|From about 1728 there used to be another Inn on London Road called the Three Horseshoes. The owner traded as a blacksmith and ale house keeper. This premises subsequently became a carpenter's shop.
1871 Samuel Hines ran the Talbot. He built the 4 cottages north of the Talbot, the end one of which was where Percy Foxley was born. Percy was Don and Mac Foxley's father.
1881 Loughton population was 324.
1891 Loughton population was 348
1891 Mrs Ann Benbow was a shopkeeper in London Road. She is listed as a grocer in the 1881 census. Her daughter Sarah was a dressmaker. Her son Alfred was a wheelwright.
William Bodley owned the Fountain Inn and 16 acres of land. His last entry is 1907.
Samual Hines ran the Talbot Inn, last entry 1899.
Mrs. Elizabeth Mitchell ran the Bell Inn, but there was no mention of the Bell Inn owner in 1895.
Henry Negus is listed as a Wheelwright, last entry 1911.
1891 Ethel Rose Gurney was born. Ethel married Percy Foxley and they had three children, Beryl, Mac and Don.
1895 Alfred Benbow is listed as a shopkeeper on London Road, last entry 1924
David Bodley is listed as a butcher, last entry 1924.
William Bodley owned the Fountain Inn, last entry 1907.
William Foxley ran a shop, last entry 1935. William Foxley was Percy's father and therefore Don's grandfather.
Don has some wonderful reminiscences of his grandfather's shop. Click here to listen
Click on residents story to hear more.
Samuel Hines is listed as owner of the Talbot Inn and overseer, last entry 1899.
There is no mention of the Bell Inn owner for this date.
1897 Four Memorial Cottages were erected by subscription to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of her late majesty Queen Victoria. They were let at a nominal rate to poor parishioners and originally cost £400 to build.
The official opening of the Memorial Cottages was 1898.
1899 Charles Holt ran the Bell Inn,last entry1911.
Click on 'Signpost' to Continue with Time Line