From Gruel to Gourmet: The Story of Fegan's Homes for Boys in Stony Stratford

Fire damages Fegan's Home
In 1938, extensive damage was caused to the boy's home which resulted in losses to a dormitories, games room and the kitchens.
The History of the Building
The Life and Times of Mr. Fegan
Daily life at Fegan's Homes
Christmas for Fegan's Boys
Life on the training farm, Goudhurst
Moving On - life for the boys after Fegan's
Fegan's Boys - where are they now?
Contacting Fegan's Homes
Useful Links
Just before 7.00pm on March 30th 1938, a fire started in the Fegan’s Home for Boys in a classroom in the north wing of the building. To this day, the cause of the fire is unknown, as all the staff at that time were non-smokers. When the alarm was raised, approximately 160 boys were marched and sent to the playing fields of the home for safety, where they remained. While the fire fighters from Stony Stratford battled with the blaze the Wolverton Works firefighters were also called to aid the Stony Stratford brigade because of the scale of the fire.
Back to previous page >>Continue to read about the fire
Read about one of the pupils at St. Paul's School

When the building was used by Fegan's Homes for Boys

When the building was sold

When it was a school run by Franciscan Monks

The varied uses of the building today