The Talbot
Introduction to London Road Introduction
Time Line Time Line
Residents of Loughton Residents
London Road Landmarks Landmarks
Throughout history the Talbot had provided services to travellers but the exact nature of those services changed as horse-drawn vehicles gave way to motor transport.
Around 1910 the sign refers to "Garage, Petrole and Stabling"
By 1920 "Stabling" was no longer advertised
By the 1950s, the Talbot was well established, offering quick-service "refreshment rooms". It was popular with national coach travellers.
By 1979 the advertising sign was blanked out and the Talbot was a thriving village pub.
By 2000 the old stables had been converted into a restaurant
The main part of the Talbot building has hardly altered over the 20th century.
The Arch still looks much the same.



How to navigate around the web site...

The 'signpost' symbol is the key to getting around the web site. 'Click' on a signpost to move to new pages, or around the page. On all pages, the large signpost in the top left of the page will take you back to the 'HOME' page.

Link to Loughton Milddle School Web Site

Loughton Middle School Web Site


This Web Site is a project by Loughton Middle School Clutch Club In conjunction with the Open University and the Living Archive

Loughton Middle School Clutch Club

Loughton Middle School Clutch Club is one of the first round of clubs funded by awards from the Millennium Commission. Each club consists of 5 parents of school-age children, in this case Charlotte Cashman, Bernadette Gill, Dave Johnston, Mumtaz Ladak and Gill Sloyan.

Link to Clutch Clubs Web Site

Further information on Clutch Clubs is available on the main
Clutch Club Website.