|The canal spur from Great Linford to Newport Pagnell was of great importance to the residents of Newport Pagnell, bringing goods such as better quality coal from the mines at Shipley in Derbyshire to the town
The spur finally opened in 1817. The work commenced in 1815, and the idea of a branch to the town had been first proposed in 1793. During construction several locks had to be incorporated in this stretch to compensate for the 50 foot drop between Great Linford and Newport Pagnell.
The canal was closed on 29th August 1864 by it's owners The Newport Pagnell Railway Company, who subsequently used part of the route to build the railway.
|To find out more about the canals see this website.|