|This is St Oswald's House where the Catholic church St. Mary Magdalene now stands. The picture below shows it from a view down the High Street.
The mansion was owned by local GP Dr Douglas Bull and his father before him Colonel Bull.
The family moved into smaller premises up the High Street after World War II when no maintenance was carried out on properties leading to part of the roof of the Georgian building collapsing.
|Pictured right is the site today - St Mary Magdalene Roman Catholic Church, which was built further back from the High Street in 1958. Brian Barnes, a former restaurateur in the High Street remembers the beautiful old Georgian mansion being pulled down after the war which he describes as 'architectural vandalism'. (audio to come)|