In 1888 a Converted shop in the High Street became the new fire station, for which an annual rental of £12 was to be paid. The location of the new station was considered by the firemen as being ideal, for it was situated in the centre of town and within easy reach of their homes. This building is now a book shop, called the Book Station.
In 1905 the Brigade was taken over by the Urban District Council.
On the 22nd May 1909 the town had a royal visit from Princess Victoria of Schleswig-Holstaein, who was on route to Gayhurst to stay with Mr and Mrs Walter Carlisle. There was a ceremony outside the Fire Station at which the Princes was presented with flowers. (photo in existence).