|History of the Newport Pagnell to
Wolverton Branch Railway - Canal.
|Return to History|
|The Grand Union Canal was completed except for Blisworth Tunnel in 1800 and a temporary tramway was built over the hill to connect the two portions of the canal until the tunnel was completed in 1805.
|In 1814 another bill was put forward. This time for a canal from Linford Wharf to Bedford, but only the short portion from Linford to Newport was actually authorised. This was opened in 1816, and had seven locks with a lift of 7ft.3ins. each.
In the early 1840s competition between the Derbyshire coalowners led to a reduction in the price of coal, and some of it was conveyed by road to Bedford. The inhabitants found it more freeburning than the Durham coal which was brought up by river from Kings Lynn, and the traffic grew in consequence (the Durham coal was usually referred to as 'sea-coal' and the Derbyshire coal as 'pit-coal'. This trade naturally died out when the branch railway from Bletchley to Bedford began to convey coal in June 1847.