Village Tour

The Cottage and Rivendell Cottage

This pair of cottages were originally built in 1814 as homes for farm labourers by the Mr Williams, the farmer who leased Manor Farm from the Busby Trust.
Originally having only two rooms upstairs and two rooms downstairs, they soon had extra rooms added on to the front of the houses next to the road, and the thatch replaced by slates. However, they have been greatly extended in recent years by their present owners.
When these cottages were built, they had no mains services at all. Water came from a well in front of the houses, (which is still there) and there was no electricity, mains gas or indoor toilets.

In 1881, a total of ten people lived in the six small rooms they provided.