Victorian Tour

Manor Farm House

The manor house, occupied by the Whiting family in 1881, is the principal farmhouse in the village and, to quote a survey of 1822, is 'very handsome and, beautifully situated, it is considered equal at least to any Farm House in the county'.
The main part of the building was built in the early 1800s and replaced a much older half timbered manor house, the wing on the north side is of intermediate age and was built of stone in the 1500s. Bow windows were added before 1856. Occupants of this house included the Williams family, the Scrivens and, after the Whitings, the Rees family from Wales.
Illustration from survey of Willen in 1822, by kind permission of the Busby Trust