Fenny Stratford
Bricks have been made in the Milton Keynes area for at least five hundred years. The brick kilns in Great Linford were originally built in the late 1800s and were used until 1911. They fell into disrepair and were left derelict until two of the three were restored in 1981.
The derelict brick kilns
Each kiln produced about 20,000 bricks per firing. These were loaded onto horse-drawn narrow boats at the adjacent canal wharf and transported to Wolverton, New Bradwell, Cosgrove and Castlethorpe to be used for building.

There were many bricksworks sited near the canal including Bailey’s Brickyard in Great Woolstone and Thomas Roger’s and Alfred Foster’s Brickyards in Little Woolstone.

The restored brick kilns