The New Bradwell Windmill was originally built on an acre of land purchased by Samual Holman in 1803. Valuations of the time indicate that it cost in the region of £500 to build.
Before Bradwell Mill was built people from the area probably relied on water mills on the Ouse or Bradwell Brook.
An unusual feature of Bradwell Mill is the fireplace. There is only one other mill in Britain known to have taken this risk, as flour dust is very explosive.
By 1876 the mill was no longer in operation. The mill was bought by the Development Corporation in 1969 and underwent restoration work.
In the photo of the millstones below you can see the grooves that enabled them to grind the wheat into flour.
A group of local people have formed "The Friends of Bradwell Mill", aiming to improve, maintain and promote the Mill as a valuable example of our local history. They organise open days and events so that people can become involved and be able to see the windmill inside. There is a mayday event which includes local people and organisations running stalls and maypole dancing amongst other entertainments.
There is a story of the Mill being haunted, of course attached to a love story. In 1685 the daughter of a local miller was sought in marriage by two youths, one of whom killed the other in a fit of jealousy. After which he was gibbeted for his crime and shortly afterwards the girl herself was found dead in one of the upper compartments of her father's mill. Her ghost is now said to haunt Bradwell Mill.
Back to top