|In 1945 Sir Malcolm Stewart set up the Sir Malcolm Stewart Bart General Charitable Trust to
" provide homes at Stewartby for old servants of the company, or their descendants, whose declining years might be made more comfortable if they were relieved of some of the expense of maintaining a household."
|To the south east side of the village on high ground a complex of initially 24 warden controlled bungalows and a Common Room were built. Designed by the famous architect Sir Albert Richardson of Ampthill, they were laid out to include a tree lined avenue and smaller secluded grass areas. In 1964 the second phase of 36 bungalows were built with a further 18 in 1970 and the final 8 being completed in 1978, a grand total of 86 bungalows. Skillfully the newer buildings were designed by the Estates office to blend in with the original.|
|Ex workers with 50years or more service were entitled to a bungalow and were very well looked after and the grounds were kept by the Company to a very high standard.|