|St Mary the Virgin church (second building on the right) in London Road, Stony Stratford, was built in 1868 to serve the parish of Wolverton. The parish had been left without a church when St. Mary Magdalene church burnt down in the Great Fire of 1742, leaving St. Giles to serve both Wolverton and Calverton parishes. The architect of St. Mary the Virgin was George Gilbert Scott who designed it in Gothic style.
Its priests were supporters of the Tractarian Movement in the Church of England which sought to restore Catholic belief and practice.
|Left - a photo of St. Mary the Virgin from the front.
This was taken in 1968 by a photographer from the Wolverton Express newspaper.
|After the boxing day fire at St. Giles Church in 1964, it was decided to restore St. Giles and make it the sole church for the Church of England in the town. The congregation of St. Mary's were not happy at losing their church which was regarded as High Church. The Oxford Diocese however decided to go ahead with the amalgamation and St. Giles was re-dedicated as the church of St. Mary and St Giles on Palm Sunday 7th April 1968.
St Mary the Virgin ceased to retain its ecclesiastical status and became a community centre.