National School

The National School was built in 1816 to educate up to 250 children - probably run by the church. The children would put a penny in the pot for their education. Alterations to the building were made in 1859 to make space available for girls. In 1887 the master was Orson Bull and the mistress Ursula Ruffhead. There were other National Schools in Priory Street and Silver Street, but in 1896 a Board School was established in Bury Street (Cedars School today), so these smaller schools fell into disuse.
Click here to hear Barbara Newcombe telling an interesting tale
During the 20th century the Riverside School became a Sunday School, but by the fifties the building needed extensive repairs. It was sold to the Council for £1, and demolished in 1961 to make way for a riverside walk around the churchyard.
Click here to hear the Lovat School Choir sing a favourite hymn
Doorway to school which remains today