Great Brickhill School
The Old School
The original school was built around 1670 and up to 1825 was a farmhouse. The old school was located at the bottom of Pound Hill/Lower Way. It was built of bricks which were plastered over and gave the appearance of concrete slabs. 'Grotesques' or figureheads could be seen by nearly all the windows. In two places under the gables The Duncombe Crest could be seen.

In 1890 Mr. W A Daborn was the headteacher. He was so strict it prompted a report by the managers. he made a rule that all boys had to wear ties.
When one boy refused to wear a tie to school, the managers overturned Mr Daborn's decision to send the boy home. He was so annoyed by this, that in retaliation he sent home another member of the same family for not cleaning his boots!
In 1906 the school was closed because many of the children had Scarlet Fever.

In 1911, the Board of Education report stated that "The deadly quiet which prevails is most unnatural" but went on to say "The children worked very well and did not appear cowed but carried out their orders with marked precision and quietness."

Generally the school appears to have been unaffected by World War One. However the following garments were made by the pupils and sent to the Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry: 7 scarves, 4 caps, 4 pairs socks, 1 pair of slippers and 10 pairs of mittens! Further garments were made of wool funded by school concerts. In 1917 the school holidays were changed so that the children could give help with the agriculture in the village. Later that year school afternoons were shortened to economise on fuel. In 1918 the children were paid at the rate of 2d per dozen for butterflies killed and 1d each for queen wasps. The school had accounted for 1,983 butterflies and 72 wasps. In September of that year the children were blackberrying to help the war and in 3 weeks picked a total of 712lb 2oz.

School resources were minimal compared with those of today. In 1931 the school had its first Gramophone bought by the proceeds of a concert. Later the same year the school purchased a Sewing Machine for £3 from the proceeds of another concert and May Festival. In 1939 during World War 2 the school educated 18 evacuees in addition to its usual pupils, In 1940 60 children were evacuated to the village but many found life in the country so boring they only stayed a few days.

School dinners were first served in Jan 1948. Today cooked lunches are no longer an option, and the children eat packed lunch. On 24th June 1954, the school ceased to be maintained by the Church of England and was handed over to Bucks C. C. as a Church of England Voluntary Controlled school. An increase in the population of the village resulted in the Village Hall being used as a classroom.

After the school was demolished, bungalows were built on the old school site. They were given the old local name of Cross End as their address, although suggestions referring to the school were considered.

Click 'Next' to see a gallery of photographs from the old school, and continue the tour of Great Brickhill, or click here to learn about the current school.