|Thomas Meacher a Brewers son from Ivinghoe, Buckinghamshire, started the Brewery in the 1780s. He lived in the house now known as Brewery House, which was, and still is, situated between the Dolphin Public House and the Brewery as it was then. He had a bit of a set back in November 1791 when the Brewery suffered a bad fire. A report in the Northampton Mercury tells us that "About three o'clock on Monday morning last, a fire was discovered in the kiln and malting belonging to Mr Meacher, brewer, Newport Pagnell, Bucks. Not withstanding its vicinity to the straw-yard, stables, and brewery, it was rapidly (by the exertions of the inhabitants, and timely arrival of the engines) got under before six o'clock, and attended with much less loss than could be expected from a fire in the midst of so capital a concern."
After 30 years of brewing, business was not going well for Thomas and he was declared bankrupt on 19th April 1810. The Brewery was then sold in September 1911 to cover his debts. It was purchased by Thomas Warriner Baseley and William Stapleton. But having not paid the full purchase price the property was never totally conveyed to them although they had built up the number of tied houses. So April 1815 saw the Brewery once again offered for sale by auction, this time along with 20 freehold and leasehold public houses. The sale was unsuccessful, as was a later sale that year in October, where the public houses were offered as a separate lot. This forced Baseley and Stapleton into bankruptcy on the 8th January 1816.
January 1817 and the brewery was being offered once again at auction. This time the Brewery, Brewery House and public houses, were offered as separate lots at auction. It was however the 26th March 1817 before the sale took place, due to a legal problem
The Brewery this time was purchased by Doctor John Rogers from Newport Pagnell and Joseph Parsons, his brother-in-law and brewer from St Albans.