|William James Cooper born 17th August 1894, was the eldest son of William Cooper a farmer and successful breeder of Dairy Shorthorns. He was the eldest of eight children (four boys and four girls). On leaving school he joined the Navy, but decided this was not for him and so two years later, with his fathers help, bought himself out.|
|Once back on the farm he developed his interest with implements and machinery and began to sell stationary engines, cream separators and farm requisites. His enthusiasm and keenness carried him through those early years.
In 1915, during the war he joined up to become a motor cyclist despatch rider in the Royal Engineers. During that time he was sent to a signal unit, stationed in the old Brewery at Newport Pagnell, this would have been his first visit to the site he was later to own. After the War he returned to his parents new Dairy Farm in Gayhurst, just outside Newport Pagnell.
|William James Cooper developed his business originally in the building to the rear of the brewery premises|
|The urge to once again enter the farm implement and machinery trade was still strong. So in 1919 after working for Messrs R. L. Capel of Northampton as a sales representative, he started his own business at his fathers farm in Gayhurst.|