|SCU - Brig. Gambier-Parry|
|Richard Gambier Parry was born in 1894 at Cirencester, Gloucestershire the second son of Sidney Gambier Parry and his wife Grace, nee Denman. Sidney was an architect with a practice in London. Educated at Eton, after schooling Richard went to America possibly as a cowboy, herding cattle in the Mid West. At the outbreak of World War One he joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and fought with distinction during World War One in France and Belgium, Wounded three times and mentioned in dispatches twice, he later joined the Royal Flying.C. Either during the War or shortly afterwards he married Diana and after the War found employment in the Pubic Relations department of the B.B.C. Following a divorce from Diana he married his secretary, Phyllis and they lived in a flat in Russell Road, Kensington. He then joined the Philco Company as, or becoming, sales manager.
Just before World War Two Gambier-Parry was recruited by S.I.S to improve their radio communications.
As his second in command he chose E.F. 'Ted' Maltby, a friend from his Eton days and in charge of technical affairs he appointed Harold Robin, a fellow employee from Philco. Without going into details, Richard held responsibility for the propaganda and Bletchley Park aspects of the radio communications during World War Two, operating at various times from Wavendon Towers and Whaddon Hall. After divorce from Phyllis, in 1944 he married his secretary and driver, Elizabeth, 'Lisa', Towes, the daughter of Colonel KB. Towse of the Royal Scots Greys. Lisa had recorded the early propaganda broadcasts at Whaddon Hall which were beamed from transmitters at Gawcott to Occupied Europe.
Richard had been made a Colonel in 1939 and a Brigadier in 1942 and after the War was appointed Director of Communications of the Foreign Office establishment at Hanslope Park.
He retired at the end of 1955 and was knighted the following year. He and Lisa spent much of their time in Malta where Lisa owned a house complete with beautiful garden. Richard opened a very successful casino on the island. In retirement he played an active role in local affairs, President of Bletchley Conservative Club amongst his duties. He also became a popular speaker at the annual Bletchley Police dinner. He was also President of the Milton Keynes Village Cricket Club and once supplied them with an electric fence (for what reason is forgotton).
After a long illness, Richard Gambier Parry died at his home in Abbots Close, Milton Keynes village, on 19th. June, 1965. A memorial service was held at All Saints church, Milton Keynes, well attended by family and acquaintances. The floral decorations by Mrs.. D. Smith recalled his association with the R.F.C. and Royal Welsh FusiIiers. The service was conducted by the Rev. Bromley, assisted by the Rev. Morgan and in the address Canon Curtis likened the deceased to Falstaff; 'ever a quick and witty companion, with a gusto for life and living'.