Department Electra House - Paris House

Paris House was originally an exhibit at the Paris Exhibition of 1878. The Duchess of Bedford fell in love with the building and had it dismantled and transported to Woburn. During WW2 it variously accommodated the head of Department Electra House, who shuttled between here and his London headquarters in a Rolls Royce, the brother of the Queen, General de Gaulle and an S.S.Officer deserter! There is a rumour that a tunnel lead from Paris House out into the surrounding countryside. Supposedly this was dug as an escape route for the King and Queen in the event of invasion, as one of the staging posts on their evacuation route to the coast. Today the building accommodates a haute cuisine restaurant.