In 1846 a piece of land in Church Street, opposite the Parish Church, was donated by Joseph Lucas (Farmer & Brewer) & his brother Edward Munday Lucas, both of Rowsham.

"For the purpose of having erected thereon a schoolroom to be used for the education of poor children in the principles of the Christian religion according to the doctrines of the Church of England."

In August 1847 the building was completed at a cost of £154 (now the East room of our Community Centre). At first it was used as a Church Sunday School, probably until 1853, when the day school opened with Henry Peter Pearson as Schoolmaster. Pupil numbers constantly grew until, by 1974, the school had expanded into three rooms, one temporary classroom and the Church Room (originally Hannah de Rothschild's Infant School).