Illnesses now rarely encountered, were prevalent in the early history of the school. Measles and whooping cough were considered with great alarm. Epidemics quickly followed the first cases due to the large families and the crowded classrooms.
An epidemic of Scarlet Fever in 1894 lasted for over 3 months and caused the Medical Officer of Health to close the school for over a month.
Epidemics continued to be apparent as late as the 1920s.
By the 1920s and 1930s medical knowledge was such that the School Medical Officer, District Nurse, School Nurse and the School Staff were all fully aware of the symptoms of contagious diseases. Once suspected, the children, along with any close contacts, would be excluded from school.
It was in the 1920s that medical provision for Wingraves children took an upward swing. In 1908 a County Medical Officer began the first medical examinations in school and in 1923 the first vaccinations against Diphtheria are recorded.
The 1930s saw the commencement of School Dental Inspections and these soon expanded to involve treatment on the premises!
Several times a year the school received a visit from The Nit Nurse who examined the heads of the children for evidence of head lice.
Children found with a verminous condition were sent home.
It appears that certain children were constantly sent home with this problem and it was not until July 1933 that Nurse Meakins reported all clean for the first time in 14 years!