"Jack was not my own dog but I was so much attached to him that we belonged in a real sort of way. He was a black and tan Irish terrier given, as a small puppy, to our Headmistress of the Infants School where I was an assistant. He was a brim full of mischief from his arrival, and owing to the schoolhouse being attached to the school building, there were difficulties from the start. The house and school doors opened onto a paved yard, where every day the pupils assembled and also spent the time in games at break. Jack soon learned the school routine, and in spite of every precaution would manage by hook or by crook to escape from the house at break, and romp with the children, and incidentally share whatever they had for lunch. On wet or cold days, when the children were not allowed out of doors, he would sneak into school as soon as our Head had left for a few minutes at break, and trot round to gather the fragments from the children whom he knew. He spent his leisure in chewing up everything chewable; slippers, shoes, odd bits of wood or coal, in fact anything he could get at! Several coats and macs were reduced to ribbons that had been left on their pegs in the hall, and every day things disappeared, but in spite of all this, we all loved the mischievous little rascal. During the long holidays of summer our mistress was in a dilemma as to what she could do with Jack. No boarding out of dogs in those days in the villages. I foolishly offered to have him for the whole month she would be away on holiday! I and my widowed mother lived in a cottage about five miles away, and when school broke up Jack went very happily along with me home. I soon began to regret my offer, for Jack made up his mind he was on holiday. He was quite full grown by this time, but still an imp of mischief. I was going into the town the following day on my bicycle and put my purse on the table while I went to get out my bicycle, when ready my purse had disappeared! Jack was asleep under the table it seemed, so of course he couldn't be blamed! I searched everywhere and at last had to procure other money to take for my purchases. A few days later, mother went into the garden to pull rhubarb, there, under the spreading leaves lay my purse, very much chewed, but still unopened and the money intact. Jack of course was the culprit, but that was not nearly the worst. Mother had purchased a very nice bonnet, quite an expensive head gear for those times, forgetting about our mischievous visitor, who slept on the kitchen mat, we left our head gear, (mother's bonnet and my own best hat) on a chair in the sitting room, the door was certainly closed, but the sight which met our eyes in the morning I shall always remember. Mother's beautiful bonnet was in a thousand bits and my best hat likewise, scattered all over the sitting room floor. Well you can guess our feelings. We were not well off folk and it meant a great deal to us. Jack fast asleep looked quite innocent, but I'm afraid that time he did get a much deserved punishment. Jack came to us on many other occasions, when he had become old and settled, he lived to be twelve years old and was a fast friend all those years. Many grown men and women still remember Jack the school pet!"

Click here to read 'Memories of Rowsham School'