Evidence has been found of a Bronze Age settlement in Wolverton. Later in Normam times, a Motte and Bailey castle was constructed by Maigno the Breton. Remains of the mound can still be seen close to Holy Trinity Church.
The Galleon, on the bank of the Grand Union Canal at Wolverton was used by boatmen. The inn had stabling at the rear for the canal horses. Alongside The Galleon was once a wharf, now used by a timber merchant, and the wharfkeeper's cottage which is now a private residence.
With the coming of the railways, Wolverton, lying midway between London and Birmingham, became a very important industrial town. In 1836 the railways works was built and by 1840, employed over 700 workers. Wolverton's first railway station was built in 1838, this soon proved inadequate and a new bigger station was built. The town of Wolverton flourished, in the early 1900s the railway works became the first to use complete electric lighting and driving. The first royal train was also designed and built at Wolverton in 1904. Sadly, the rail works are just a shadow of their former self, but however the current royal train is still housed there.
The former wharfkeepers cottage.To the right of the cottage was the wharf.