The village of Simpson dates from Saxon times. It is also mentioned in the Domesday Book, having had a water mill valued at 10 shillings a year.
When the Canal was constructed, the village was completely re-arranged. As there were several springs in the area the main road flooded frequently during the winter months. Charles Warren, of Simpson House, a builder, was instrumental in having the road raised by about 6 inches. Simpson also had it's own brickworks with 3 kilns owned by W.E Clark. There was also a swing bridge and wharf , which in 1864 was run by John Mead. The Plough is a popular canalside inn, with it's garden backing onto the canal.
Further along the canal at Simpson, visible from the H9 (Groveway) is Bowlers Bridge (Bridge 91). Bowlers Bridge takes it's name from a previous occupant of Bridge House, which stands next to the bridge. Bowler was a smallholder and resided at Bridge House until his death in 1970.