The village of Great Linford dates from the 11th century although there is evidence of both Saxon and Roman settlements in the area.
Frances Uthwatt, widow of Henry, had inherited Great Linford Manor in 1757. She died in 1800, just before the canal was built through the estate just a few hundred yards from the manor house. There was a great deal of haggling about the amount of money to be paid by the Canal Company for the land needed. The canal divided the estate, spoilt the view and left the manor house vulnerable as the canal was in constant use by the boatmen.
Great Linford was once home to a busy canal wharf. At that time the tonnage rates charged were a ha'penny for bricks and 3 farthings for coal and coke. Great Linford also had a brickworks, evidence of which may also be seen. The site of the old wharf is now a marina for leisure boats.
The Black Horse at Great Linford was originally a private dwelling but became an inn during the first half of the ninteenth century. The building has been extended greatly since that time.