1860 - 1951
|Joseph William Mann (or J.W as he was generally known) was born in Cogenhoe Northants and started in the Boot and Shoe trade as a Clicker the name for a person who designs shoes and cuts the patterns from which they are made.
He came to Olney in the late 1880s when he went into Partnership with William Hinde.
|When he came to Olney he married a local girl Harriet Ann Rice and they lived on the corner of West Street before moving to Midland Road next door to the factory. With a growing family of 6 children (3 girls and 3 boys) he brought 67/69 High street for £1400.|
|The house was altered by an architect from Northampton and on completion of the work the house was renamed Orchard House. Orchard House was the first house in Olney to be lit by electricity. There was a shed built in the garden to house the generator, which was driven by a petrol engine. This system remained in use until Mr. Mann died in 1951 and a modified system is still in use today|
|Click here to continue|