Woburn through Ridgemont and Ampthill up to Bedford
Tollhouses x 2, Weighbridge at Woburn
Every user of main highways apart from pedestrians paid graduated tolls daily for each short journey made. The gates no longer remain but the houses do, these are called tollgates.
Maintenance of roads was imposed on parishes. Out of a small population the parish had to elect 2 men annually who were unpaid, unwilling, unqualified and unequipped surveyors of the highways. It was their duty to see that all men also unwilling turned up on the roads for 4 days per year to render service called statute labour.
Bedford to Woburn 1777-1872
Old road approaching Woburn ran straight through from Ridgemont to Red Lodges the entrance to Woburn Park.
The first gate was at How End Houghton Conquest. This was controlled by a Bye Rd, which offered other routes both to Woburn and Dunstable. The second gate was close to Flying Horse farm midway between Ampthill and Woburn.
These were used to impound cattle in distress. There were several throughout the vale at
Cople also had a Tollhouse
Pounds were either wooden pen structures or brick built.
Houghton conquest also had a duck decoy.
|Canals & Bridleways|