Stewartby School was built in 1937 by Bedfordshire County Council on land given by the London Brick Company. The Headmaster at the time of opening was a Mr L .W James he accepted the key presented by the RT.Hon.F.G.Stanley MC. M.P.President of the Board on the first of February 1937, with a total of 291 children on the books.
The junior school was built to serve the children of the village and the senior school took children from the surrounding villages as well as Stewartby. The school was to accommodate 160 boys and 160 girls, most lessons being mixed except for woodwork and gardening was for the boys and needlework and cooking for the girls.
Woodwork 1950
Cookery 1950
Geography 1950
In Wartime children who previously had to be bused into school, went back to their village schools, to have lessons as the teachers were in short supply and fuel was rationed.
School would start at 9.45 am and finish at 3.45pm. A timetable for term two in 1939-40 shows a typical two days at school. At the time the school had only 3 separate classes.
Compare this wartime timetable which seems rather limited with a timetable from year 8 at the school in the year 2000/2001
Click Here for the Christmas Menus