Rivers Meet

The Lovat river (or Ouzel, as it is sometimes known), meets the Ouse at the back of St Peter & St Paul's Church. It is now a quiet area of the cemetery, but it is thought that a castle stood on this site in the 1200's. This was only of timber construction and it is possible that materials from it were used to build the church. There is no doubt that a building on this site would have occupied a commanding position.
This part of the cemetery used to be private land, owned by the Bull family - they sold it to the Town Council, and this bridge over Riverside was constructed to connect the the churchyard and the cemetery. Arches to each side of the bridge used to house coffins before burial - presumably the coolest place!