The Railway
The Developments From 1833
The West Coast Mainline Railway passes to the southwest of Great Brickhill running parallel to the Grand Union Canal. It connects London Euston station to Birmingham, the northwest and Scotland. Construction was originally built by George Stephenson in 1833 as the London & Birmingham Railway (LBR)
In April 1838 the trains only ran as far north as Denbigh Hall, north of Bletchley. From here passengers had to board horse drawn carriages to take them onto Rugby to complete their rail journey onto Birmingham. This was short-lived as the line was completed on the 24th June 1838, the first through train being the 9.30am from Euston Grove to Birmingham. Denbigh Hall ceased to be used in September 1838.

In 1844 George Stephenson discussed the forming of the Bedford Railway Company to connect Bedford to the LBR at Bletchley. This line was opened on the 17th November 1846. People wishing to travel to Bedford now only had to change at Bletchley rather than go by horse drawn coaches from Leighton Buzzard. 1846 saw the London & Birmingham Railway (LBR), renamed the London North Western Railway (LNWR).

To handle the extra demand for goods freight, in 1859 another 'up line' was built to carry the extra northbound trains. 1870 was recorded as a bad year for accidents across the rail network, a third of all accidents were recorded on the LNWR.

Many people who lived in the villages of Great Brickhill and Stoke Hammond worked for the railways, cycling into Bletchley and working in the station or rail yard. Some worked directly on the track being responsible for their length of track. Ten to twelve hours a day was the norm until the eight hour day was introduced in 1919, allowing people to have more rest each day.

The 5th July 1965 saw the end of steam on this stretch of line and the changeover to electric powered trains, to improve the efficiency of the service. Many people commute to London from the area, by steam the journey took 1 hour, on the electrified route this could be reduced to 35 minutes making it more attractive to work in the city.

The Bletchley to Bedford Line

The branch line to Bedford was granted a reprieve in 1966 against Dr. Beeching's proposed closure, when part of the line from Bletchley to Oxford was closed to passengers. It was reprieved again in 1972, as there is no direct bus link between Bletchley and Bedford.