|Great Brickhill Church|
|St Mary the Virgin|
|The construction of the church was started in 13th Century with the church initially consisting of a chancel, nave, and central tower.
The south aisle and chapel were erected in 1460 and the north aisle and chapel were added about 30 years later.
The most recent addition to the church is the south porch, which was added in 1865. During this period the whole church was restored in greensand rubble and limestone dressing.
The church is dedicated to the nativity of the Virgin Mary and a patronal festival is celebrated on the 8th September each year.
|Items of Interest|
|The church holds a number of interesting items:
The windows of the chancel have wall paintings similar to those used in 13th Century architecture. Unfortunately much of the painting has been lost.
A small stone fish is inserted in the window jamb in the north of the chancel. It is unclear why it was added or when, although the fish is an ancient religious symbol.
The communion table and the chest near the lectern both date back to 17th Century.
The church organ is a Hills' organ built in 1877 and is one of the finest organs in the county. One of the organ stops is reputed to have come from Notre Dame cathedral in Paris.
|The inside of the church is decorated with a number of memorial tablets, mainly to members of the Duncombe family, whose descendants still live in the parish. Some of the tablets are particularly striking surrounded by images of angels and skulls.|
|Future of the Church|
|The future maintenance and fabric of the church is of great concern to the parishioners. £250,000 is required to re-roof the north and south aisles, to repair the tower and to install new bell frames and bells.