|Wavendon School was built in 1851 to accommodate 120 children using money left by George Wells of The Grange in Wavendon in 1714. He bequeathed £800 which he said should be used "to educate, clothe and apprentice ten boys from the village."|
|Look for this image to return to this page|
|The school was built from red brick with Bath stone finishings. There was a free library with about 350 books, mainly of a religious nature which were mostly donated by the Hoare family who occupied Wavendon House.|
|An elderly resident recalls that the bell went at 8.55 am followed by half an hour assembly, half an hour religious instruction and then an hour of arithmetic.The rest of the day was made up as follows.|
|There was no set timetable, it could change according to the weather or any national or local event such as when the Master rode off on his bike to follow the hunt!|
|Listen to Joan Lewis 's encounter with the truancy officer|
|The Health of the children in the school was a continual concern and medical inspections were undertaken regularly, as shown in the school log.|
|Empire Day was celebrated every year at the school with a variety of activities.|
|Joan Lewis (nee Millard) is pictured here dressed as a wedding cake to help raise funds for the school piano.
Click on the picture to hear her account of the day.
|Click on the picture to the right to hear Joan Lewis talk about memories of leaving school.|
|Click here to return to the main page|