Linslade Tunnel was constructed in 1837 to enable the railway line to run through Jackdaw Hill.
Originally there was one central tunnel carrying two lines.

The ornate castle design was intended to reassure early passengers that it was safe to travel through a tunnel.
However due to the rapid increase in the use of the railway two more tunnels were built between 1859 and 1876.