Built in 1846 the property was originally called the Railway Tavern and then the Railway Hotel.

Renamed the Hunt Hotel in 1881 it attracted members of aristocracy and local gentry to hunt foxes and game birds.
Edward VII who was a frequent visitor in the 1920's suffered a broken shoulder blade after a fall.
An express train travelling to London was made to make an unscheduled stop to take him home.