|Wolverton Carriage and Wagon Works|
|The works undertook manufacture and repair work to carriages and wagons and train lighting equipment for all the main works. There were spray painting shops, varnishing shops, body repair, wheel, lifting, smith's, brass, brake, machine and electric trimming and timber production shops and general stores (to name but a few!).
Click on any of the small pictures to see a full sized photograph.
|By 1964 when the Nobby line closed, the Wolverton works was one of only 16 main workshops left in operation for British Railways. As part of a £17 million improvement scheme for British Railways Wolverton received a reported £1310,000 to modernise and re-equip the workshops. The premises were reorganised in order to vacate some of the buildings, the land having been sold to Mr Robert Maxwell and Co Ltd.|
|The photograph above is of the smithy.
The photograph to the left is of a huge rack of poultry hanging at the works, with a few people who appear to be sitting watching it! Colin Brown contacted CLUTCH in March 2004 to say this was the annual Christmas Raffle to raise funds for the Renee Lodge nursing home in Newport Pagnell. The tickets were one old penny each. Colin was an apprentice 'Brass Finisher' at the Works from 1958 to 1965.
|Wolverton Works was the biggest employer in the area with many of the employees being highly skilled in woodwork or engineering. The photograph to the right is of a large group of workers in a courtyard, taken in 1925.|
|This is a postcard entitled 'Dinnertime at Wolverton Works'. Note the lone female carrying a child. We do not know whether she was employed, perhaps in the sewing rooms, or happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.|