|The Railway Tavern - Newport Pagnell.|
|In 1817, the canal was extended one and a quarter miles from Great Linford to Newport Pagnell. The Lord of the Manor built the canal wharves and then traded in coal, timber and grain. He also saw another opportunity to take advantage of this new business and built The Foaming Tankard public house.
This inn had stabling for horses and a shop.
|In 1864, the Newport Railway Company bought the spur of the canal, filled it in and laid the tracks of the new branch line. At this point The Foaming Tankard was renamed The Railway Tavern. In 1899, a syndicate of Newport businessmen, including George Pearce, the Landlord of The Railway Tavern, got together and provided a bus service from Newport station to Olney where passengers could connect with the Midland Line. This was one of the first rural bus sevices in the country.
When the branch line finally closed in 1965, (the last passenger run was in 1964), The Railway Tavern took the name The Newport Arms. This closed in 1993 and is now Latinis Italian Restaurant.
|Photograph 1 is from the Bucks County Council Collection.
Summary: Newport Arms P.H. (formerly the Railway Tavern)