|Opening Day||2nd September 1867|
|The line was operated on the 'one engine in steam' principle, and although it carried an electric staff (obligatory on single-line working), there were obviously no exchanges of staff! This meant that if there was need for a breakdown train or second loco in case of failure, it could not be sent until the 'staff' had been returned to Wolverton No.2 Signal Box. Signals were notable by their absence. Apart from the 'starter' at Newport, nothing was encountered until the Wolverton 'Distant and Home'. As mentioned before, the Newport Starter post is the only remaining sign of the line in Newport.
There was an illuminated 'STOP ' sign at the end of the platform for the benefit of passenger trains.
There was no signal box at Newport since there was so little to control. Points for the sidings and signals were operated from a 'ground-frame' at the end of the platform, by the fireman or station staff.
|Newport Pagnell High Street showing the Swan Hotel where the dinner was held to celebrate the opening of the branch line.|
|The Newport Pagnell Historical Society is indebted to Bill Simpson, the railway author, for some of the factual information contained in these notes, much of which appeared in an article in the bi-monthly journal 'Backtrack' for May/June 1991.
Mr Simpson's new book about the Newport and Wolverton Railway is available from bookshops.
These notes are reproduced by kind permission of the Newport Pagnell Historical Society.