|Radio Security Service|
Hanslope Park becomes operational
The administration personnel began to move into Hanslope Park during August, 1941, and the following month ( their first duty being to clean out the corn bins ) the first two radio amateurs, Wilfred Limb and William Chittleburgh, arrived as wireless operators. With the bins prepared, six H.R.O. receivers were set up on trestle tables and so began the full time intelligence intercept station. Brick huts were constructed during the winter to accommodate the operating staff. The corn bins remained in use until the intercept station at the Lodge, Bullington End, eventually employing 115 radio amateurs, became fully operational in 1942, again with many HRO receivers set up on trestle tables. Major Dick Keen, who had been the D.F. (Directional Finding) expert from Marconi, in Great Baddow, visited Hanslope Park many times and was instrumental in helping to set up the radio direction finding systems. Fitted in the new station the new concentrator unit enabled operators to communicate by microphone to their supervisors. They also used morse keys, by which instructions were transmitted to direction finding stations on a common land line.
To feed these receivers, with the standard G.P.O. poles fixed end to end an extensive aerial system was established and the whole operation maintained a constant 24 hour watch. In May, 1942, Hanslope was officially opened and although Captain Prickett was the first Commanding Officer, he was soon replaced by Reginald Wigg who, as a radio amateur, had a greater understanding of the needs. Hanslope was considered to be of such importance, as an intelligence spy centre, that Lord Gort, General Alexander, Field Marshall Montgomery and General Eisenhower were all shown around the centre, accompanied by Brigadier Gambier Parry
Despite the important role played by the R.S.S. in intelligence activities, it seems disappointing that they have never been given full recognition of their achievements.