The One Hand Clock

Clock History

Single-handed clock, possibly one of only a dozen of its kind in the country, with the clock face hour intervals divided into quarters and half hours (in the 17th Century when the school was built, time was not so critically measured as we now do in the 21st Century).

1673 - Part of the original building, the clock face with its one hand was incorporated into the front centre gable. The pendulum from the mechanism actually hung through a slot in the ceiling and could be seen in the classroom below.
The bell was originally housed in a tower above the ridge of the roof.
The Clock is a Birdcage 2 Train Movement
1 for the Hands and Movement
1 for Striking and Bell
Bell - has cast on it "Tobie Norris cast me in 1676"
1927 - During the restoration of the building the bell tower was removed and the bell was re-hung adjacent to the clock mechanism. The hammer now strikes on the opposite side to 1673 because it was wearing thin!
1957 - After 30 years of idleness and deterioration, Mr John Kinchin an engineer by profession and restorer of old clocks, dismantled the clock mechanism and after 3 months of dedicated work the clock was restored to its former glory.
The two 35lb. lead activating weights were re-hung on new rope and the clock face and hour hand newly gilded.
1976 - The winding mechanism was fitted with two electric motors to raise the weights over a reduced height, which in turn drive the original clock works.
Drive shaft to Hour hand
Time indicator for Hour hand
Close-up on Hour Count wheel
Driving chains to movement
Notes on Tobie Norris:-
Reference: "The Church Bells of Northamptonshire - North"
By - Thomas North
Pub. - Leicester: Samuel Clarke 1878

"Tobias Norris was baptised at St. George's Church, Stamford, 25th April 1634.
He was Overseer of the Highways in 1660-7, of the Poor in 1678-9 and Churchwarden in 1685-6; his name also occurs in connection with parish charities in 1693.
He was buried, as appears by the register of St. George's parish 19th January 1698-9.
His bells which are not numerous - range in date from 1662 at Weston-by-Welland (5th) to 1686 at Nassington (2nd) but he continued casting until his death.

"Clipston Heritage" by M D Wilford published 1991
Market Harborough Advertiser & Midland Mail - Thursday 8th August 1957