|In 1909 the total salary budget for teachers was £1280 per year with an individual teacher taking home about £150 per year - this did not increase much over the coming years with the topscale for a graduate teacher in 1914 being £160.
During the First World War several of the teaching staff were enlisted in military service. These included Mr Feltham, Mr Ellis and Mr. Horsefall (the woodwork instructor). They got a £200 allowance from the school.
In 1916 the Headmaster's pay was £400 per annum and Miss Bailey was taken on to teach Domestic Science, Needlework and P.E. She left two years later after being appointed inspector of canteens in one of the military areas.
During this time all the teachers wore gowns in school. Phyllis Light recalls a particular history teacher, Miss Dudley, who would take pupils out on Friday afternoons to local churches (e.g. Willen and Maids Moretaine) on architectural expeditions. They would do brass rubbings.
Miss Button was appointed as a teacher to the Wolverton County Secondary School in 1938 and she tells how all the teachers were appointed by Mr Morgan, the Headmaster. If female, they had to wear hats, gloves and suits. As well as teaching their specialist subject, teachers also had their own form to look after, clubs or societies to run, lunch hours to supervise and house affairs to organise. There was not matron at the school so if a pupil fell sick it also fell to the teacher to administer first aid or care for the sick.
Alan Sanders has a good memory for all the teachers and their nick names. He remembers Miss Button as a young pretty English teacher - the older boys would enjoy making he blush. There was also Mr Cadman ("Caddie") and Mr Thompson ("Tommy"), Mr Martin ("MIckey"). "CAW" White and "Spud" Merfitt. Reggie Long was the Chemistry teacher: he was a big man who drove a very small car 'I think that he was squeezed in sometimes like a shoehorn' (Saunders 2001).
In the Second World War years the majority of the staff were women as the men had been called up for military service. The Headmaster was Mr D.E. Morgan (known to pupils at 'The Boss' as recollected by Jim Skipper). There were some thirty six teaching staff at the school in this period teaching 11 different subjects.
An electric clock memorial was installed in November 1956 to Miss Townsend who was headmistress of Wolverton County Girls School for 32 years.
Mr Ron Garner was the first Headteacher at the new Bushfield School when it opened in 1973. This photograph shows him in his retirement. His motto was 'It's not the winning that counts but the taking part' (as recalled by Rene Healey).
Mrs Margaret Persaud began teaching at Bushfield in 1977 as her first teaching job after training. She taught the youngest children. She recalls having to play the piano in assembly which was rather nerve racking for a young teacher and she also had responsibility for the second netball team and the library. She has fond memories of the Head:
'Our Head, Tom Lawson, always stood in assembly and told the whole school that it was the best middle school in Buckinghamshire. And we all believed it and ... we tried to instil that into the pupils as well and ... he was excellent for ... binding people together and making us feel as if we were all a team.'
Margaret also recalls how the Deputy Head would teach handwriting and pottery:
Mr Speaks used to come and teach handwriting. He loved teaching handwriting. And every year he had a handwriting competition and h would come into your class and he would teach your class for say twenty minutes once a week with handwriting. And he was very particular about how that was done and they had their own handwriting books they had to copy and it was cursive, joined handwriting that he was teaching. ... we had competitions every year and he would give out prizes. In each year group you would have three winners and he chose the one who had made the most progress and made the most effort with their handwriting.
And the other subject that he taught very well was pottery. Mr Speaks had every child in the school doing pottery.'
Mr Naylor is also remembered by Tracy Greys. He lived on site in what is now the caretaker's house and ran the football teams.
Mr Blagaich was a teacher visiting the school from U.S.A. in the late seventies and there was another unfortunate teacher, Mrs Hallede who was off from school with malaria.
Mrs Margaret Kearsey was one of those Head Teachers who knew every child in her school.
Mr Mick Gordon was a popular teacher of the older children. He ran the cross country team each Autumn term.
Mrs Sue Cox took over the Headship in 1998 and had a huge impact on the school boosting morale amongst the pupils and staff with her clear leadership and commitment to the school.
This is a photo provided by Ron Garner of his retirement.
Photo (courtesy of Margaret Persaud) of Teachers in 1978 - click the photo to enlarge.
This photo shows Tom Lawson in the school stocks (School Archives). The stocks are still put to use every School Fete with wet sponges thrown at the Head to raise funds.